Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Iphone 5s

Weelawser

Iphone 5s

Post by Weelawser » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:24 pm

Folks, what functionality is lost when using bluetooth over cradle, i have just been upgraded to an Iphone 5s. I have a long journey ahead of me when i pick up my Zed at the end of the month, ( Yes another Zed virgin, Well to be honest my first foray into BMW ownership ) the car is a 2007, 3.0 Si Sport roadster, it has amongst other things BMW assist, Enhanced Bluetooth telephone functionali, Navigation-system Professional (Whatever that means, never thought to ask after i was blown away by the car's styling & condition.) I did notice an Iphone cradle in the column between the seats, presumably for an Iphone 4 ? I've read through many of the posts regarding Intravee, Y cables & 30 pin adapters for the Iphone 5s but to be honest my heads spinning now, i just want to make sure i have hands free & i'll take stock at a later date of the nice to haves :wink:
Last edited by Weelawser on Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jan_tekin

Re: Iphone 5s

Post by jan_tekin » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:32 pm

Not much is lost, they said it improves reception when using the cradle but I didn't notice any. Better off using a good quality phone mount such as a brodit, that way at least you can still have access to you phone if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Current: M135i
Sold:3.0lsi Sport Roadster, Xenons,Heated seats, blutooth, Hi Fi,Comfort Pack, Cruse Control, Stormworks ST1
Gear Knob, Stubby, KW V2s, 224s

wegras

Post by wegras » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:33 pm

Bluetooth will work without the cradle it is for charging and enhanced signal ( :wink: ) apparently
The cradle if for iPhone 4/4S will have the old 30 pin connector and the last time I checked the iPhone 5 cradle was still not available ( 2/3 weeks back )
Try to get B/T working first before you spend on cradles .You should have a Comms boolklet which explains pairing ,not an intuitive process sadly
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

Weelawser

Post by Weelawser » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:47 pm

Thanks for the replies, doesn't look to be worthwhile buying a cradle for the 5s as yet.....As i understand it bluetooth shows all phone information on the SatNav but will it display music tracks ?

Weelawser

Post by Weelawser » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:09 pm

Or will the Y cable option with the 30 pin adapter work better.........Anybody ! :tumbleweed:

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Iphone 5s

Post by markeg » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:15 pm

Short answer I believe is, no, as the Bluetooth is for phone only. If you want music streaming you need either an Intravee, DICE or similar (via a cable) or a Parrot (Bluetooth). Other options for music include the aux port, but music is then through the headphone socket. iIRC someone was using a third part Bluetooth module through the aux plug, but I can't remember the post.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."