Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Clutch Slipping?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
skelters

Clutch Slipping?

Post by skelters » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:01 pm

Ever since the car was serviced last month I've noticed that when changing gear the car lurches a bit as if the clutch is slipping a bit?

This happens when accelerating hard more than when driving normally.

Into second then hit the pedal change up into third and it's as if it is missing something somewhere. Then when taking my foot off the clutch it feels as if the clutch isn't fully disengaging from the gear just selected. Any passenger in the car then gets a sore neck as the car feels as if it jumps forward.

Anyone got any ideas?

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:05 pm

Did you have a brake fluid change recently by any chance?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

skelters

Post by skelters » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:09 pm

It was Inspection I so I don't know!!!

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:12 pm

Reason for asking is that the reservoir keeps the fluid for the clutch and brake in the same bottle - but in a different compartment.

Just wondered if the clutch level is too low, so therefore not engaging / disengaging the clutch properly?

Could you check the level to see what it is at
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Roadster

Post by Roadster » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:06 pm

If it's jerking forward than it's definitely NOT slipping. Those two are polar opposites. A slipping clutch has a very slow (or non existant) lockup. In extreme cases of slippage, you will see the rpm's rise (say when going up a hill) with no change in road speed.

It could be that they bled the clutch slave and now you're sensing a different action. When the clutch pedal is all the way in is there any load on the engine? That is, does the car want to move with the clutch pedal all the way at the floor? If so then you need to fix the problem because you're transmission is never completely disengaged from the engine. If this were the case, you'd probably also have a very difficult time in selecting 1st from neutral.

skelters

Post by skelters » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:21 pm

Roadster wrote:It could be that they bled the clutch slave and now you're sensing a different action. When the clutch pedal is all the way in is there any load on the engine? That is, does the car want to move with the clutch pedal all the way at the floor? If so then you need to fix the problem because you're transmission is never completely disengaged from the engine. If this were the case, you'd probably also have a very difficult time in selecting 1st from neutral.
Think this is exactly what's happeneing.

I'll check later as I'm fixing a laptop at the moment.

skelters

Post by skelters » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:16 pm

Roadster wrote: When the clutch pedal is all the way in is there any load on the engine?
That is, does the car want to move with the clutch pedal all the way at the floor? If so then you need to fix the problem because you're transmission is never completely disengaged from the engine.

If this were the case, you'd probably also have a very difficult time in selecting 1st from neutral.
1. No load on the engine when the clutch is fully down.
2. It is difficult getting first gear.

When I've been driving the car for a while and the engine is hot then it's at it's worst. Going from second to third and taking my foot off the pedal and it gives the passenger and myself whiplash.

Wondering if they've updated the software again after being told not to.

I'll put it in yet again this week and see what they say.

skelters

Post by skelters » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:44 pm

Today I reset the adaptive driving computer thing and it seems to have fixed the problem for the moment. Might just have been the way I've been driving recently that's caused the problem. Lots of very slow and 30mph town driving and no chance to give the car a good blast.

Car is booked in for Thursday but I'll see how it goes tomorrow and Wednesday before I cancel.