Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Muntz 8 tracks, J.C. Whitney.....

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
zednik

Muntz 8 tracks, J.C. Whitney.....

Post by zednik » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:00 pm

IMZ4N.......come on Bob, fess up, you did NOT have to do a Google Search to learn about this stuff. No way.

BTW I'll admit to being.........uh........39? Just like Jack Benny. :rofl: :rofl:
AKA......Lord Febreeze

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:02 pm

JC Whitney was/is the mail order company that was listed for Warshawsky Co. back in the old days in Chicago. It was a junk yard for anyone that had few $ and no brains. It was always busy and on Saturdays one needed to get a number and wait for it to be called for serice. Sometimes it took an hour before your number was called. I know I worked a few blocks away from it. All that changed when it moved to further south on the SoutSide of Chicago then, eventually, to LaSalle (?), Illinois.

IMZ4N

Post by IMZ4N » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:24 am

zednik

yeah, yeah :oops:

I know the thirty-nine bit --- about 12 times for me! :!:

Jack who? :wink:

I just find it easier not to admit to knowing anything. Most people will believe I'm stupid and not even question it. :thumbsup:

My dad put it this way:

It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open my mouth and prove it. :evil:

I can actually remember going through the catalog, just to see what kind of new junk they had every month. I always though that I would buy one of the Army surplus jeeps and put it together ( $49 ). Never did.

I went to the Pomona car swap meet last weekend to come up with some good stuff for HC. Due to the company we keep on the forum, I will not elaborate at this time.( above ) :P

I just caught your signature and it made me laugh.

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Muntz 8 tracks, J.C. Whitney.....

Post by 20ducks » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:41 am

zednik

Black stripe on a white car almost makes it a skunk.

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:46 am

Hehe - I had 2 black stripes running down the middle of my '55 T-Bird back in the mid 60's. 8)

I retrospect yeah it did look kind of like an inverse skunk but I thought it was neat at the time.

2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe - Silver Gray, Black Extended Leather, Dark Birch trim
Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s

zednik

Post by zednik » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:31 am

Here's a confession; in 1963 my mother bought a new Sunbeam Alpine roadster. I was seriously in love with that car and even though I was 2 years shy of a drivers license I was reading Road & Track and Sports Car Graphic every month with a zeal known only to 14 year old boys.

Over summer vacation I'd go out in the garage late at night and clean and polish the car, likely taking about .005 off the paint. I was obsessed.

One night I decided mom's Alpine really needed a racing stripe so the next day I went to Western Auto and bought some red tape and the following night at about 1:00 am I striped that car. Red over white and it was even sort of straight. My mom loved it, my dad was very p.o.'d but the red tape stripe endured until '65 when she traded it in on a black Tiger. She was the coolest mom ever. :) :) :) :)
AKA......Lord Febreeze

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:33 am

Great car story. I didn't know there were cars made that far back.... :P

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:56 am

Since I am the same age as zednik I don't have to play age denial games here - the basic shape design of the Sunbeam Alpine and my '55 TBird were quite similar but the Alpine was a much lighter car and I was always left drooling whenever I saw one. :drool:

The Tiger version sent me over the deep end when it came out and was only second in my Automotive Object of Desires(TM) to the 60's Shelby Cobra and to this day I am still somewhat obsessed with both of those classics. It may well be the case that my Z4 would clobber a Sunbeam Tiger in laps around my local track but I would love the opportunity to drive a Tiger for a 6/10ths lapping session just for grins.....

:yeah:

Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:12 am

Back then I played with avoiding Grand Theft Auto 64 (Chevy's were my specialty).

zednik

Post by zednik » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:37 am

AlanL,

Since you were a Sunbeam fancier here's a couple more shots I exhumed from an old box of photos.
These were taken in '66 or '67 at a slalom in Long Beach, CA and a time trial at Willow Springs Raceway.

In the shot from Willow I noticed that my high school girlfriends Fiat 850 Spider was in the background along with a BMW 1600 that belonged to a buddy. Yep, that's me in the car.....dig the yellow "dedicated slalom wheels" which I made my buddy carry to the events in his pickup.

I'm still digging through this stuff but I think that the shots of the Tiger that I bought from my mother may have gone up in smoke like many of my books and records when wife #1 went totally psychotic in the mid '70's.........ImageImage
AKA......Lord Febreeze

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:26 pm

Nice - you got an early start with track time. Even had a roll bar in the top picture. :thumbsup: