Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CD Magazine! with picture!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Nova2k7

CD Magazine! with picture!

Post by Nova2k7 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:56 pm

So was swapping cd and went over a bump! Now I get "no magazine" pressing the eject button simply gives a one second "buzz" and then nothing. Tried pushing in and out but still nothing. Seems like a disk is stuck half in and out.

srhutch

Re: CD Magazine! with picture!

Post by srhutch » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:32 pm

Try tapping it. Failing that remove the battery for 30 minutes or so. Last resort would be to remoce the changer and then take to bit to remove the CD's

I had to do this years ago after my uncle pulled his change out of a car before selling. Of course he forgot to eject the CD's first.

Nova2k7

Post by Nova2k7 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:42 pm

srhutch wrote:Try tapping it. Failing that remove the battery for 30 minutes or so. Last resort would be to remoce the changer and then take to bit to remove the CD's

I had to do this years ago after my uncle pulled his change out of a car before selling. Of course he forgot to eject the CD's first.
I've tried all that. Apart from disconnecting the battery. How will this bring the disk back in though?

philip27

Post by philip27 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:58 pm

This happened on my car I used a very small flat head screw driver to flick the disc up and it jumped into life the magazine then ejected. It's happened a couple of times and this is how I fixed it. Obviously just be careful and don't force the disc up to much.
Went to the dark side Porsche Cayman 987s
Crimson Red E89 23i - :(
Maldives Blue E85 2.5i - Sold :(

Nova2k7

Post by Nova2k7 » Tue May 06, 2014 1:48 pm

philip27 wrote:This happened on my car I used a very small flat head screw driver to flick the disc up and it jumped into life the magazine then ejected. It's happened a couple of times and this is how I fixed it. Obviously just be careful and don't force the disc up to much.
ive tried this but cant seem to get anything under the disk!

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue May 06, 2014 1:54 pm

Disconnecting the battery basically reboots lots of systems in the car - hence why the clock and the windows need re-set once you've done it. But you have to leave it disconnected for 30mins or more. Hopefully the CD changer will reset itself when the power is reconnected and you switch the ignition on.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Nova2k7

Post by Nova2k7 » Tue May 06, 2014 1:56 pm

Bing wrote:Disconnecting the battery basically reboots lots of systems in the car - hence why the clock and the windows need re-set once you've done it. But you have to leave it disconnected for 30mins or more. Hopefully the CD changer will reset itself when the power is reconnected and you switch the ignition on.
hmm im a bit sceptical lol but i don't have any other options now lol how do i reset the windows? will i need to do anything else?

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue May 06, 2014 2:00 pm

Clock - use the head unit.

Windows - you lose the auto-up/down function. Re-set is ignition to position 1, press both buttons to put the windows all the way down, hold down for 5 secs, then pull the switches to put the windows all the way up, hold for 5 secs... Down and hold for 5 secs, up and hold for 5 secs.

You'd be amazed what disconnecting the battery can sort. You reboot computers that stop working all the time right ? That is basically a power cycle re-set... A car is full of computers, this is the same thing. Worth a go, and if it works you won't scratch your trim any more trying to lever the tray in :poke: :D
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Nova2k7

Post by Nova2k7 » Tue May 06, 2014 2:13 pm

Bing wrote:Clock - use the head unit.

Windows - you lose the auto-up/down function. Re-set is ignition to position 1, press both buttons to put the windows all the way down, hold down for 5 secs, then pull the switches to put the windows all the way up, hold for 5 secs... Down and hold for 5 secs, up and hold for 5 secs.

You'd be amazed what disconnecting the battery can sort. You reboot computers that stop working all the time right ? That is basically a power cycle re-set... A car is full of computers, this is the same thing. Worth a go, and if it works you won't scratch your trim any more trying to lever the tray in :poke: :D
haha i know about the trim, the picture makes it look really bad when actually you cant really see it! ill give it ago tonight!

Nova2k7

Post by Nova2k7 » Tue May 06, 2014 7:25 pm

Bing, you sir are a legend! batter off for 30 mins and the cassett reset! then it was not reading any of the disks, there seems to be a metal wire running the length of the changer, mine seemed lower at one end so gave it a bit of a pull to try line it back up and it started reading the disks just fine again!

Happy days

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue May 06, 2014 9:29 pm

I'd love to take the credit, but srhutch suggested it first... I just convinced you :D

Good job, glad it's working again :thumbsup:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Tue May 06, 2014 9:34 pm

All this thanks you are getting today Bing for other's suggestions :D
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue May 06, 2014 9:35 pm

I know, right time right place mate, I'm a finisher dontcha know :wink:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Tue May 06, 2014 9:48 pm

Bing wrote:I know, right time right place mate, I'm a finisher dontcha know :wink:
Don't be a finisher of my car :poke:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Felix

Post by Felix » Fri May 30, 2014 10:55 am

I love this forum, I can't understand why I'd not explored it until recently.....

My CD had been stuck for a couple of years or more, but reading this post and http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/search.ph ... mit=Search and the cassette is now out (power had been off many time, but "dunting" worked).

Problem fixed for now -are there any proven ways to stop it happening again?
Does something need cleaning / oiling / silicon greasing?
What causes the problem in the first place?
....or do I just keep a rubber ended screwdriver in the car?
2004 E85, Merlot Red (resprayed 2014) 3.0i SE Auto, Beige Oregon Leather, 18" Composite Star Spoke, Sycamore Dash, Prof Nav, Bluetooth, 6 Disc CD Changer, Prof Carver HiFi.....