Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4M Insurance

"M" Specific discussion
Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Z4M Insurance

Post by Andy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:31 pm

hi all,

just realised i desperately need to sort out cover on my roadster..

does anyone have any recommendations ?

just did a quote with BMW for £950 (im 28, 3pts and one claim with 8yrs no claims) which seems a little high, my direct line renewal was £850 tho surprisingly.

I'd obviously rather stick to BMW in the event that god forbid i stick it into a tree, but if someone knows a good broker I'd be interested =)

ta !

JayD

Post by JayD » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:44 pm

I am with Adrian Flux and have been for the last 5 years. Those quotes you have got are good given that you are based in London.

I am 34, live in Watford and pay about the same. Full no claims and only 3 points.

PaulN

Post by PaulN » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:44 pm

Hi,

Im with Adrian Flux for all 3 cars and house insurance.

They gave me a total of 60% off my latest which is the Z4 i had No spare no claims.

Also wherever you go Car club discounts work out great BMW GB £45 saved me 25% (That was included in the 60% BTW)

I tend to really play hard ball with them and play them off each other at least once. Dont take there first price there is always room for movement.

Cheers

PaulN
Everything Happens for a Reason!

14 TT Black Edition
07 Z4 2.0 SE Jet Black
06 Freelander Sport Java Black

JayD

Post by JayD » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:49 pm

PaulN wrote:Hi,

Im with Adrian Flux for all 3 cars and house insurance.

They gave me a total of 60% off my latest which is the Z4 i had No spare no claims.

Also wherever you go Car club discounts work out great BMW GB £45 saved me 25% (That was included in the 60% BTW)

I tend to really play hard ball with them and play them off each other at least once. Dont take there first price there is always room for movement.

Cheers

PaulN
Second that Paul, they are good at coming back with improved offers if you can show them competitive quotes from other insurers.

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:24 pm

thanks chaps - it's actually registered in worcestershire, which is supposed to be one of the lowest rates in the country.

id very much like the BMW policy because it will be easier in the event of disaster but should i perhaps get an Adrian Flux quote and take it back to BMW to bid against ?

any other opinions ?

JayD

Post by JayD » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:26 pm

Worth a try mate. I dont know how flexible BMW will be though?

Isnt it a bit risky registering a car elsewhere ??

davidpfitz

Re: Z4M Insurance

Post by davidpfitz » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:29 pm

Andy wrote:hi all,

just realised i desperately need to sort out cover on my roadster..

does anyone have any recommendations ?

just did a quote with BMW for £950 (im 28, 3pts and one claim with 8yrs no claims) which seems a little high, my direct line renewal was £850 tho surprisingly.

I'd obviously rather stick to BMW in the event that god forbid i stick it into a tree, but if someone knows a good broker I'd be interested =)
That sounds very good to me. Mine is around the same (9 hundred & something) for a 2.5 in N1, London. Me (UK license for 1yr, only) and Mrs F has 11 years UK no claims.

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:36 pm

JayD wrote:Isnt it a bit risky registering a car elsewhere ??
parents address, spend as much time there pretty much as i do here.

i hope bmw are flexible..

davidpfitz

Post by davidpfitz » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:41 pm

Andy wrote:id very much like the BMW policy because it will be easier in the event of disaster
But it's just an RBSG subsidiary who are the insurers who provide a white-label service for BMW, Tesco, Direct Line, Nissan, Egg, Citroen, Peugeot, Virgin etc. etc.

IMHO, just go for the cheapest.

They don't say they will pay for your car to be repaired at a main dealer, just a BMW 'approved' bodyshop using BMW parts. Most policies will do the same.

davidpfitz

Post by davidpfitz » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:43 pm

Andy wrote:
JayD wrote:Isnt it a bit risky registering a car elsewhere ??
parents address, spend as much time there pretty much as i do here.

i hope bmw are flexible..
Where are you on the electoral roll?

It really isn't worth it trying to scam insurers - your policy is void. If you're going to do that, you may as well just get 3rd party insurance since if you're going to pay for nothing, you may as well pay the least.

D.

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:00 pm

im registered for everything in worcs.. and have unfortunately claimed recently (on a previous car) so i know it's not a prob.

interesting about the RBSG thing though.. wondered why they all use the same page..

davidpfitz

Post by davidpfitz » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:21 pm

Andy wrote:im registered for everything in worcs.. and have unfortunately claimed recently so i know it's not a prob.
Then that sounds like it is your actual address and probably the one you should insure under.
interesting about the RBSG thing though.. wondered why they all use the same page..
It's common right throughout the financial services industry (not just general insurance). You'll also notice things like Diamond/Admiral/Elephant are all the same too.

There's a form called an IDD "Initial Disclosure Document" which all insurers are obliged to make available to you. This will tell you who is actually doing the insuring. It's usually mentioned elsewhere. The phrase "underwritten by ... " is the one to look for.

People are often also surprised that Churchill underwrite the policies for guys like Lloyds TSB motor insurance (LTSB have no general insurance capability). Aviva sort out Barclays. eSure is just a front for HBOS, who also do First Alternative, Sainsbury's Bank, Sheila's Wheels.

Sometimes T&C's are different between the brands (depending on the market they're aiming for) but not by a lot.

And so on! Those insurers do a load of reinsurance with other big players, and the chain goes on and on. Same to a slightly lesser extent with home insurance, less again for non general insurance (i.e. life).

Disclaimer: I'm not an insurance nerd - I work in financial services, so come across this kind of thing.

PaulN

Post by PaulN » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:28 pm

Just the confirm the whole address thing is super super risky.

If your car gets nicked in London they will say why was it there? You say because i live there........

They void your Insurance because it needs to stay where its insured for a silly amount of the year.

My advice would be explain the situation but if its half the year in London and half somewhere else they need to know.

They have very good accessors on board whos main aim is to dodge paying out.

Good look

Cheers

PaulN
Everything Happens for a Reason!

14 TT Black Edition
07 Z4 2.0 SE Jet Black
06 Freelander Sport Java Black

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:41 pm

if it gets nicked im staying with friends.. i know enough to cover my back.

anyway lets stop talking about that now as i'm writing evidence.. lol..

have just renewed with Direct Line as I tried Adrian Flux who wanted over a grand - DL just did it for £840..

thanks for all the input =)

churchwa

Post by churchwa » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:15 pm

I had a friend who the insurance company did not believe about a claim, so they sent a private investigator to follow his movements to establish his living arrangements. Fortunatly he was telling the truth.

I ude Admiral for my insurance, cost less than my S2000. lol