Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Light steering wheel shake

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
itguy

Light steering wheel shake

Post by itguy » Sun May 18, 2014 8:04 am

Hi Everyone

Need some help with this.

I've recently had the front passenger caliper binding (which I then replaced with a new one) and have had my wheels refurbished and put non-RFT tyres on.

All seemed ok but i've noticed a light steering wheel wobble/shake at around 50-60mph when you take your hands off the wheel. Holding onto it i can't really detect it.

Yesterday I fitted new front discs in case there was any warping and also got all 4 wheels rebalanced (they did need a bit of adjustment).

Problem still there, so what next?

When I got the wheels balanced they'd only just come off the car but the chap did do a really thorough job, inputting all the settings on the machine etc.

The only other thing I have changed recently was to move the front camber to the innermost setting rather than leaving it as stock. I haven't yet had it checked on a hunter or the toe re-adjusted (next week sometime if I can).

Thanks
2003 Z4 3.0 SE Roadster. Manual, silver with New England red extended leather. Pro nav, xenons, carver hifi, elec fold mirrors, 6CD, dension gateway 100 iPod adaptor, tv, 108s, wind deflector. Fitted: Stubby, cruise control, ZHP, cup holders.

randyf

Re: Light steering wheel shake

Post by randyf » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:32 am

Rotate the tires, front to rear, rear to front. Just make darn sure its not a tire or wheel problem. I have seen many balancers out of whack

itguy

Re: Light steering wheel shake

Post by itguy » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:25 am

Well things seem to have progressed with this a little now.

I've had the front wheels re-balanced at a different place and the most of the wheel shake has now gone. There is little bit occasionally, but it's pretty much gone. (both were 20g out)

I'm going to get the rears balanced soon too as all 4 were previously balanced at the same time so i'm expecting them to be 20g out each too. If thats the same then that may also be contributing.
2003 Z4 3.0 SE Roadster. Manual, silver with New England red extended leather. Pro nav, xenons, carver hifi, elec fold mirrors, 6CD, dension gateway 100 iPod adaptor, tv, 108s, wind deflector. Fitted: Stubby, cruise control, ZHP, cup holders.