Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Phones that are compatible/incompatible with BMW Bluetooth

davidpfitz

Re: Phones that are compatible/incompatible with BMW Bluetooth

Post by davidpfitz » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:01 pm

sapphire_nick wrote:I am really pleased to say that it worked!!! Amazing... Took a while - to start with the phone would find the car as "Handsfree" but kept saying "could not connect" - then eventually it asked me for the passcode and worked just fine. Thanks for your help! For the record, my iphone is on software 1.1.4 :thumbsup:
Great! It's nice when things turn out well!

D.

KentM

Post by KentM » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:38 am

Hi Dave - thanks for the information on the phone compatibility. I just took delivery of my 2005 Z4 and tried to use my iphone with it. Interestingly, the car paired perfectly with the iphone. I can access my phone directory with out any issue though the stereo's head unit. However, when I make a call the phone will connect with the number called but I can not hear anything nor can the person being called. I annoyed my wife to death by trying her six times and she thought it was a prank phone caller! I called another friend's cell phone and he couldn't hear me either. He called me and the same issue (stereo mutes, allows me to answer but can't hear anyone). Is this an issue of me not having the correct bluetooth module that others have talked about? Or is there a simpler solution? My iphone is updated at 1.1.4. Any input would be appreciated!

sapphire_nick

Post by sapphire_nick » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:43 am

that sounds very strange indeed! Have you tried connecting another phone to it and seeing if that works? That way you will have a better idea if it is the phone or that there is a problem with the speaker/ head unit?
3.0si coupe in sapphire black. HIFI prof DSP, Professional Nav, Star Composite 18s, elect fold mirr,MFSW, heated black leather, Intravee, Cruise Control, Manual gearbox.

KentM

Post by KentM » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:56 pm

Great suggestion trying another phone. I tried my wife's razor and it behaved the same way (pairs up fine, able to access stored phone numbers, dials but no sound). So looks like I am off to the dealer for some answers! Thanks.

carl

Post by carl » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:58 pm

I think your microphone is broken. I believe it's the little thing on the top of the steering column.

davidpfitz

Post by davidpfitz » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:54 pm

carl wrote:I think your microphone is broken. I believe it's the little thing on the top of the steering column.
Actually, I've always wondered where it is ... so I know where to shout when the roof is down!!

I had previously guessed it was near the reading lights - but for no particular reason!

carl

Post by carl » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:39 am

davidpfitz wrote: I had previously guessed it was near the reading lights - but for no particular reason!
On an E46 it's up near the reading lights (daft place -- only the driver needs to use it) and it's also on the left hand side and needs to be unclipped and moved in a RHD car. But that would be a stupid place to put it on a convertible, wouldn't it? The thing on top of the steering column certainly looks like a microphone, and the other end can hear me much more clearly when I'm speaking from the Z4 than the E46, so I conclude that the mic is nearer.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:42 am

carl wrote:
davidpfitz wrote: I had previously guessed it was near the reading lights - but for no particular reason!
On an E46 it's up near the reading lights (daft place -- only the driver needs to use it) and it's also on the left hand side and needs to be unclipped and moved in a RHD car. But that would be a stupid place to put it on a convertible, wouldn't it? The thing on top of the steering column certainly looks like a microphone, and the other end can hear me much more clearly when I'm speaking from the Z4 than the E46, so I conclude that the mic is nearer.
On the earlier Z's it was in the central light unit above the mirror, so guess they figured out in the end it's better on the top of the column
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

KentM

Post by KentM » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:43 am

I was originally thinking it was the microphone as well. However, when others call me I can't hear them either. I can answer the incoming call - stereo is muted - but can't hear anyone. I think the dealer will have to figure it out!

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:08 pm

Linked my MOTOROLA K1 KRZR with my Z4 last week. Works very well! :thumbsup:

No SMS though. No cradle for them yet either.
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

sapphire_nick

Post by sapphire_nick » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:20 pm

I should say, I don't get SMS on my iphone, should I?

Not that it bothers me to be honest!

Breaker, have you asked Bimmernav if they can get you a cradle for the KRZR? May require a modded eject box?
3.0si coupe in sapphire black. HIFI prof DSP, Professional Nav, Star Composite 18s, elect fold mirr,MFSW, heated black leather, Intravee, Cruise Control, Manual gearbox.

davidpfitz

Post by davidpfitz » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:11 pm

sapphire_nick wrote:I should say, I don't get SMS on my iphone, should I?
Nope, I've never seen a phone that works with SMS on the Z4!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:15 pm

I can't get SMS on my X5 (same system as the Zed) with either a Generation 3, 8 or 12, on any phone so gave up there. That's with a Blackberry and old Sony K750i

Still waiting for my harness from Bimmernav to fit to the Z4. If I can make and receive calls hands free and use MFSW then it's good enough for me.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

sapphire_nick

Post by sapphire_nick » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:11 pm

cj10jeeper, is that harness the snap in cradle? Which phone is that for and are they modifiying the snap in box for you?

All the best
Nick

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:27 pm

sapphire_nick wrote:cj10jeeper, is that harness the snap in cradle? Which phone is that for and are they modifiying the snap in box for you?

All the best
Nick
Nick

Having had the cradle system on the X5 for years I found it frustrating and useless, power to connect each time, forgetting to retrieve the phone, etc. so when I did the X5 I opted not to bother and just have a system of bluetooth and connected of course to the MFSW and central mike and speaker system, bordmonitor display and all.

I plan to mirror for the Z4 without cradle.

My secondary logic is that:
I change phones so would need to keep getting 2 new cradles
USB charging is becoming the norm so I use that single charger for many different items.
I can leave my phone in my pocket and don't therefore walk off from the car without it
I have 10 day battery life so it hardly need charging anyway and it does that each time I sync to the pc

Current phone is the Blackberry 8100 soon to be the 8110