Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight Level Adjuster

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Ed Doe

Headlight Level Adjuster

Post by Ed Doe » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:10 am

Morning all,

This may be a ridiculously silly question, but bear with me!

My headlights are Xenons, which I understand means they have auto levelling? Now there is a manual adjuster next to the fog light switches, but this doesn't seem to do anything; is this right?

I was just reading one of the threads about the water ingress in the headlights, and someone mentioned the (auto?) adjusters didn't work and it cost them a fortune come MOT time. I obviously want to avoid a nasty surprise in October when my MOT is due, so can anyone confirm that Xenons have auto-adjusters, and that the manual adjuster therefore don't work?!

Thanks in advance!

Ed
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

Ed Doe

Re: Headlight Level Adjuster

Post by Ed Doe » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:32 pm

Anyone? :(
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:

BrianD

Post by BrianD » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:37 pm

If they are Xenons then they are auto levelling as you said. The adjust next to the fog light switches is the adjuster to dim/brighten the dash board lights.

When you first put your headlights on they should automatically quickly dip and then return to the right level as determined by the auto levelling. If they don't auto level on start up then one of the arms under the car could be broken
70 plate Z4 M40i - Alphine White, Magma Red trim plus all the toys and an OAP behind the wheel :D
Gone 62 Z4 35is sDrive Auto in white with 169K miles

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Thanks for the info Brian, there definitely is a second toggle next to the dash light adjuster. I'll take a photowhen the car is back from the garage! Not noticed the auto level movement but haven't been looking for it and have only driven the car once in the dark in my stewardship so I'll check that too!

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:42 pm

Either OEM have been retrofitted, or more likely somebody has fitted a cheap HID kit and disconnected the adjuster.

OEM have adjusters on opposed suspension arms front and rear. Offside front, and nearside rear from memory.

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:44 pm

Is there a way to find out what options were selected from the factory? I'm sure mine came with xenons as standard but now want to double check!

nfarmer

Post by nfarmer » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:53 pm

Ed Doe wrote:Is there a way to find out what options were selected from the factory? I'm sure mine came with xenons as standard but now want to double check!
If you enter the last 7 digits from your VIN number here http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/ you get a copy of the factory spec. You need to register first just get the page translated. All I have to do is right click on the pace and choose translate.

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:11 pm

Thanks nfarmer, much appreciated!