Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cleaning 108 style wheels

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Nick_in_Suffolk

Cleaning 108 style wheels

Post by Nick_in_Suffolk » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:13 pm

Whilst cleaning my wife's Z today, which means removing each wheel so I can clean inside the wheel and the wheel arch, I wondered whether I could or indeed should take apart the 2 pice 108 wheel.

Are there any reasons to NOT do this? Should I defalte the tyre before detensioning the bolts) And if I did so what is the bolt torque value?

Am I mad?

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:17 pm

hehe, in my mind yes you are mad... still don't get the whole taking off the wheel thing... ;)

Madness is cool though :D

Sorry, no answers to your question... but I am sure someone will post soon :D

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:21 pm

still no replies... c'mon people?!

Was thinking abou it and why would you need to take them apart? Surely the little hard to reach areas could be got at with a toothbrush or such like?

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:10 pm

I have a set of 108's and looking at them very close I would not take them apart. I would have concern about taking them apart with the tires mounted as well. I have done a WEB search to see if I could fine the torque setting for assembly and no doubt some logical pattern to torque down the bolts. I fine nothing on the subject.

I would go with the toothbrush and yes you are quite mad... :wink:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

takedown8

Post by takedown8 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:07 pm

Why the heck would you take them apart? You are nutso! :D

Seriously though, just clean your wheels like a normal person and get on with your life. You'll feel so much more liberated!
2005 Z4 3.0i, Maldives Blue, Beige int, Black top

Nick_in_Suffolk

Post by Nick_in_Suffolk » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:45 pm

There are small amounts of corrosion leaking from under the inner piece, hence my wish to take the wheels apart and correct the minor defects. It would also give me chance to clean inside the countersinking where the bolts sit and remove any accumulated brake dust between the 2 surfaces!

Yes I am quite mad, but get a perverse pleasure of doing completely mindless things.

I think I will just experiment - I have 2 spare 108s (F&R) which cost me peanuts on ebay and kept as spares agasint the day I (or my wife) kerbs a wheel. I will each bolt in a 180 degree apart pattern - logging where each bolt is located. I'll also log the torque that has to be applied to free each bolt and then take an average value during re-tightening. If that is successful I will move onto the wheels on the car.

That should nicely blank out Sunday!

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:54 pm

Nick_in_Suffolk wrote:There are small amounts of corrosion leaking from under the inner piece, hence my wish to take the wheels apart and correct the minor defects. It would also give me chance to clean inside the countersinking where the bolts sit and remove any accumulated brake dust between the 2 surfaces!

Yes I am quite mad, but get a perverse pleasure of doing completely mindless things.

I think I will just experiment - I have 2 spare 108s (F&R) which cost me peanuts on ebay and kept as spares agasint the day I (or my wife) kerbs a wheel. I will each bolt in a 180 degree apart pattern - logging where each bolt is located. I'll also log the torque that has to be applied to free each bolt and then take an average value during re-tightening. If that is successful I will move onto the wheels on the car.

Crikey... good luck! And of course you will take pics for the how-to?! :wink:

Geodoc

Post by Geodoc » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:19 pm

Nick_in_Suffolk wrote:There are small amounts of corrosion leaking from under the inner piece, hence my wish to take the wheels apart and correct the minor defects. It would also give me chance to clean inside the countersinking where the bolts sit and remove any accumulated brake dust between the 2 surfaces!
Nick, there was a lot of discussion on the 'old' Z4Um about 108s and the corrosion issue - generally the conclusion was that once the corrosion started it got worse - this seems to be a problem only with these wheels. A number of owners got them replaced under warranty (some problems getting them replaced if they were kerbed). The corrison seemed to be related to winter driving and salted roads. If corrision is becoming an issue cleaning won't solve it - bring them back to you dealer. It's a problem BMW are well aware of!!
ImageImage

takedown8

Post by takedown8 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:27 pm

Geodoc's right. 108s are well known to have that problem and you should have them replaced before your warranty ends. Maybe wait until closer to the end of your warranty to replace them so that you'll have a new set for as long as possible post-warranty.
2005 Z4 3.0i, Maldives Blue, Beige int, Black top

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:34 pm

Looking at the picture of his car, the warranty will have already expired ...
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

155MPH

Post by 155MPH » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:03 am

I have never taken the wheels off to clean them, that sounds a bit extreme to me, but I am able to get my wheels completely clean without. If I couldn't perhaps I would consider it.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:52 pm

Nick

My only comment would be that the torque required to undo the bolt will be greater than that used when tightening. How much different I dont know, but I would hate for the rim to split because the bolts shear. Might just be worth asking a wheel pro.

There is a detailed post on zroadster.net http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12506 which details the repair of a split rim, might be able to find out what torque they set them to.

BMW^Z4

Post by BMW^Z4 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:20 pm

I wash them every week with meguiars brushes and wax them with Poorboys wheelwax every 2 months and no corrosion at all...
Some 108' have corrosions some of them not. Mines are 2 years old and they still shine .. :thumbsup:
Sterling grey ,108 starspoke, alarm,KW v3 suspension,clear lights,cd/mp3, ipod 20GB, hardtop,manual,wind deflector, aerodynamic package, silver trim,Michelin pilot sport tyres, cruise control etc ...

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:24 pm

Do you wax the insides as well, planning on removing mine in the next month or so to give 3 coats of poorboys wheel wax for winter protection.

Rich R

Post by Rich R » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:18 pm

12 months in and my 108's are still fine, with Poorboys on every few months * 2 or 3 coats.

I'm thinking of swapping them out for my 17"s over the winter though
Z4 3.0 2004...108's and bits