Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Starting problems with 2004 Z4, 3.0I

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Fastatv

Starting problems with 2004 Z4, 3.0I

Post by Fastatv » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:28 pm

So I fired up the Zed, drive down the road about half a mile for some beers. I get out of the car, grab some brews, get back in the car, turn key...nothing, not even a click. After about six or eight tries, it cranks, and starts. I'm like ****, now I can get home. Pull her in the basement, turn her off, again, would not start. Methodology:
- Charged battery at a 2 amp rate, charged to 100% in about 15 minutes, so, probably
not the issue
- Not a fuse of any kind because on the first failure at the store, nothing...then cranked
and started, so I felt no reason to check.
- Next thing that went thru my mind was the key. Since I wasn't getting even a "click" I
thought the key might be the culprit, It was very dirty and I thought it was not being
recognized by the ignition switch, so gently cleaned it up with electrical contact cleaner
and tooth brush.....and I was excited, tried it, big no go.,,,,DAMN....LOL
- Now time to get into voltage drops, I connect my volt/ohm meter up to the "battery
jumper posts under the hood.
- Key off, door open, static voltage was 12.6 vdc, interior lights on,
- Next reading, door open, key switched to the "run" position, 12.4 vdc,
- Ok, so far, so good, now I move the key to the start position, 12.2 vdc, not
much of a drop, only .2 vdc.
- I try this again, switch to start position, with lights on, no dimming of the head lights
what so ever
- Seemed to me the starter was not getting any voltage any of significance.
- So I pondered a bit, then I had a friend get in the car and try to "crank" it while I tapped
on the starter. Cranked and started, and did this three times.
Starter was faulty, but it was a bit different than I had experienced before, very little voltage drop and no clicking, and no dimming of the lights.
Purchased a new starter from an Auto Box Store, about one hour, maybe a little less to remove and install, works like a dream. Hope this proves useful to someone. Rick

toolmanchris

Re: Starting problems with 2004 Z4, 3.0I

Post by toolmanchris » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:52 pm

Had a similar issue with a 4WD (not BMW) a couple of years ago. Turned out to be the solenoid contacts in the starter that had burned away.
Fortunately they were available for £15 off ebay.
Dismantled the starter, fitted them and bingo working fine. I dont know if these are available for the BM starter but it wasnt a difficult fix and could potentially safe quite a few quid

Chris
Reliant Scimitar GTE in Bold yellow (under restoration) http://www.toolmanweb.com