Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 Xenon dipped headlights inadequate

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Zikim

Re: E85 Xenon dipped headlights inadequate

Post by Zikim » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:06 pm

Just taken off the inspection cover and yes it's halogen. Off to buy some Philips Extreme Vision Plus 130% Extra light.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

JayEmm

Post by JayEmm » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:24 pm

Word of advice, some of the super-duper-ultra-ultimate bulbs do not seem to last very long. My Peugeot used to go through a bulb every 5 months or so - probably wise to keep a spare or spare pair handy.
------------
James Martin - aka "JayEmm"
Director of Photography (Cameraman)
History: E46 M3 LSB, Z4 MC, '05 E46 330Ci Clubsport, 645Ci, '96 911 Targa, '99 911 C4

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:51 pm

JayEmm wrote:Word of advice, some of the super-duper-ultra-ultimate bulbs do not seem to last very long. My Peugeot used to go through a bulb every 5 months or so - probably wise to keep a spare or spare pair handy.
Basic physics. If you take the same bulb design keep the same 12v and 55w then the only way to get more light is to make the filament thinner, so it gets hotter shines brighter and whiter. Therefore it lasts less time as it's more susceptible to vibration damage and evaporates away quicker.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

omar

Post by omar » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:41 pm

Aftermarket xenon kit, a good polish of the headlights and maybe one turn of the white adjuster screw and it will be so much better. Best £100 you'll ever spend on the car.

Mot is fine... Been to 4 different testers and never even had a question. Advantage of projector lamps is that they do indeed look like xenons hence ops confusion.

I wouldn't waste money on marginally brighter bulbs... Projector lamps with halogens is just inherently rubbish. Even the F10 is criminally bad without xenons.
Toy: 2005 E85, 2.5i, Mauritius Blue, Retrofitted electric leather seats & 18" E90 193 style wheels, Hardtop, Xenon kit
Sensible car: 2012 F10 ActiveHybrid 5

ColinP

Post by ColinP » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:08 pm

omar wrote:Aftermarket xenon kit, a good polish of the headlights and maybe one turn of the white adjuster screw and it will be so much better. Best £100 you'll ever spend on the car.

Mot is fine... Been to 4 different testers and never even had a question. Advantage of projector lamps is that they do indeed look like xenons hence ops confusion.

I wouldn't waste money on marginally brighter bulbs... Projector lamps with halogens is just inherently rubbish. Even the F10 is criminally bad without xenons.
I totally with this quote! I spent money on better bulbs but I couldn't tell much difference the lights are still shite the levelling motors are now shafted so I am going to change them and fit a HID Kit! I think that this will be the best option other than fitting some rally stile driving lamps. :driving: