Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Goodyear Eagle GSD3's (Ditch the runflats!)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Goodyear Eagle GSD3's (Ditch the runflats!)

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:10 pm

I had my runflats replaced last month with GSD3's and the transformation was amazing. No longer does the car tramline and try to pull me into a ditch. No longer do my teeth chatter when I go down a bumpy lane.

I would recommend this "mod" to anyone using runflat tyres, it makes a world of difference. I have a can of Holts tyre weld in the boot (£8.99 from Halfords) which should do me nicely if I get a puncture.

One thing I would say though is check carefully before you go for it, a lot of places refused to fir non runflats... even though it is perfectly safe... I eventually got it done at ATS. They are expensive, but if you take in a quote they will usually match it!

skelters

Post by skelters » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:02 pm

When I got the Goodyear Eagle's fitted they said I should contact BMW if the car was under warranty and also check with the insurance company too.

BMW said that non Runflats should not be fitted to the car as they could not guarantee they would stay on the alloys.

The Insurance company said it was fine as it wasn't changing the look of the car.

I've had mine since October last year and they're excellent compared to the RFT's.

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:34 pm

Why is BMW such a pain in the ass about rft's?

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:07 pm

fire-n-ice wrote:Why is BMW such a pain in the ass about rft's?
Actually my dealer in Allentown, PA is quite ok with the change and in fact was drooling over the rims... :D Seems this is more of a problem for our friends accross the pond... :?
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:08 pm

Yep, I am definitely on the wrong side of the pond :cry:

Color

Post by Color » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:37 am

I'm taking a guess they have struck some kind of deal with Continental which gives them cheaper tyres but on the other hand they have to agree to sell XXX number of run flats on their new cars. In big business and politics it's all about give & take.

em2b96p

Post by em2b96p » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:20 am

well they become concerned because the reason why they do not have to include a spare tire in the car is because of the RFT. now when you swap the RFT out for regular tires, the purpose of not having a spare tire is defeated.

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:30 am

Color wrote:
I'm taking a guess they have struck some kind of deal with Continental which gives them cheaper tyres but on the other hand they have to agree to sell XXX number of run flats on their new cars. In big business and politics it's all about give & take.
At least for the 3.0si's with the Sports package the OEM choice was Bridgestone RE050A RFTs. I tried to get my dealer to substitute something else when I ordered the car but BMW doesn't allow that. The dealer knew I was going to swap out the tires as soon as I got the car and I did do so about 3 weeks after I got it.

Agree with sp3ctre - HIGHLY recommended mod. :thumbsup:

2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe - Silver Gray, Black Extended Leather, Dark Birch trim
Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s