Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 Market watch

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
jenniferlouise

E89 Market watch

Post by jenniferlouise » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:00 pm

Didn’t know where else to post this… Saw this Z1 come up on a popular auction site and felt the need to share it. Personally I would take the Z8 over the Z one, but I do appreciate these are rather rare and he’s like to fetch good money. Enjoy. And happy bidding if you’re brave enough
https://www.carandclassic.com/auctions/ ... _bk=block1

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by Pondrew » Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:12 pm

jenniferlouise wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:00 pm Personally I would take the Z8 over the Z one,
You would need VERY deep pockets, then. Z8s are asking £250,000 plus! That's a lot of money for any BMW IMHO. I dread to think what an Alpina would be asking, if there were any for sale!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Silverstar

E89 Market watch

Post by Silverstar » Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:49 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:19 am Well things must have changed over the last 30 years!
I was always under the impression that 'optional extras' are worth nothing on a used car; only potentially make it easier to sell against an equivalent without them. The buyer's mindset of getting something for nothing.

I still don't understand the demand for the i-drive on the E89. They are 2009 technology and don't think they were ever upgraded during the life cycle of the car. I could be wrong (it happens occasionally!) IMHO they make the cars seem really old now. One of main things I didn't like about my 2008 E92 was the antiquated i-drive.
For me the idrive is a must. Even though it's old and as you refer to it antiquated it's still fully functional. I used the maps to get me from London to Malaga Spain and it worked a charm. Even though I have the MMI box and now mostly use CarPlay there was an instance when I had to rely on BMW Maps to get me home when I was stuck out in the mountains without any phone signal.

It's also great for the PDC system where it adds a pictogram making it easier to see where the object is in relation to the car and it also gives loads of car info on a big screen which otherwise you would have to look at either on tiny radio display or a tiny dash display and as I've mentioned you can now add an MMI box which brings idrive bang up to date with Apple Carplay or Android Auto. Don't forget that on the E89 if you really don't like the screen you have the option to drive around with it folded away and not to mention added value and easier to sell come sale time and it really is a win win! For me the only thing not upto date about the iDrive in the E89 is the resolution quality and screen brigthness but that's no big deal.

In terms of options, some are worth nothing and some are I think B21 has pointed them out correctly, on a car like a BMW, iDrive, Leather, auto box, M Sport Package, PDC all add to the value. The more toys you have the better resale value you will get and it will be easier to sell. Additionally on cars like BMW Mercedes etc. most people tend to go for either the mid or high end engine and trim specs, the lower engine and or trim specced cars have much less demand.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

blackbay54

E89 Market watch

Post by blackbay54 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:27 pm

Agreed on the idrive comments above.

With my Mr12volt box added (Thanks Dave!), the car really feels as modern as needed. The screen technically is not as good as a modern one but it's more than good enough, I have google maps up to date navigation with the widescreen working really well for the two panel layout for whatever podcast or music I'm listening to on the other side.

The screen is also positioned and fitted in a much cooler and stylish way than anything else on the market - and being able to just close it down occasionally will always be cool!

Also the visual accompaniment for the parking sensors is useful too. Definitely glad I sought an Idrive model out, and can completely recommend a Mr12volt box for a quality upgrade too.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by Nictrix » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:23 am

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/15786510
Not seen this one for sale before thought it was Peters at first.
Extremely low miles, fairly sorted and under 20k.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

E89 Market watch

Post by B21 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:29 am

Nictrix wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:23 am https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/15786510
Not seen this one for sale before thought it was Peters at first.
Extremely low miles, fairly sorted and under 20k.
Yes it’s very nice..not seen that one come up before…not that I’m aware of every yellow e89 sold…

Ohlins nice decision…not so sure about the foam filters…

As usual if that had come up when I was in the market I’d have been there..

Quite a rare bird..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

MarshMA10

E89 Market watch

Post by MarshMA10 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:30 am

A two pence piece from a new owner. So, to some extent I represent (some subset of) prospective buyers who don’t know as much as the average forum user.

The major value-deciding factors for me when looking at various E89s to buy were:

- aftermarket head unit (for CarPlay)? Would pay for convenience of someone else having done this already.
- aftermarket alloys? Had read the OEM 19s crack too often.
- interior leather spec? The white leather looks nightmarish to keep nice. The black leather looks too plain. Massively personal choice here of course. But a huge driver of whether it’s the right car or not.
- interior dash spec? No way I was buying one with the wooden veneer, etc.
- manual vs pdk vs auto? I would’ve had the dual clutch, but wanted the manual. The auto was a flat no. I’ve had someone ask to buy my car already, purely because it’s the big engine with the manual box.
- tuned up engine? I was keen to buy one that had been lifted a bit from the standard 300hp.

Then the generic car buyer things - condition/tyres/mileage/etc.
2010 E89 35i — turbo boat hooligan - viewtopic.php?t=131886
2008 Ducati 1098S — two wheeled nightmare

Gwest44

E89 Market watch

Post by Gwest44 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:16 pm

I reckon this is the lowest specced E89 it was possible to order in the UK and the MOT expires in under 1 month.

That said the MOT history looks good, its done under 100k and apart from the butchered whippy presents well.

At the end of the day you'd be driving an E89 for under £4k - what's not to like? :thumbsup:
Screenshot_20240313_160126_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20240313_160126_Facebook.jpg (74.6 KiB) Viewed 186 times
Sapphire Black 23i
Previously 8xZ3's, 5xE85's, 2xE86's & 3xE89's

Zed Baron

E89 Market watch

Post by Zed Baron » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:04 pm

Silverstar wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:49 pm
For me the idrive is a must. Even though it's old and as you refer to it antiquated it's still fully functional.
[/quote]
iDrive is still good, you can still get up to date maps and it looks better for reading information from the car (service information/pdc) etc than the bright orange text on the radio! From my time in the trade and as Silverstar said, you buy a car with as many toys as possible, whistles and bells! I drove a G29 a couple of weeks ago, it didn't have that many extras, nice car but I decided it wasn't for me due to the lack of toys.