Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tight bonnet (hood) release

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
ian in lancs

Tight bonnet (hood) release

Post by ian in lancs » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:46 pm

A common problem on pre facelift cars is the bonnet (hood) release. It gets stiffer / tighter over time. It's caused by the release mechanism drying out because being just behind the grilles it's exposed to the elements. Easy to fix by spraying lube regularly into the catch mechanism from above or if you can't open the bonnet from below after pulling out the grilles.

I think BMW have changed the design on later cars. Anyway I post this for information.
I'm on my second Zed, a cosseted 2007 Interlagos Blue Z4M Roadster owned since new - 343 horses controlled by a donkey...

Daily driver is a 2012 X3 3.0d M Sport (fantastic) Wife has a 2015 325d Luxury

IAM Observer

BMW^Z4

Post by BMW^Z4 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:47 am

I used WD40 and the problem was fixed ...
Sterling grey ,108 starspoke, alarm,KW v3 suspension,clear lights,cd/mp3, ipod 20GB, hardtop,manual,wind deflector, aerodynamic package, silver trim,Michelin pilot sport tyres, cruise control etc ...

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:07 pm

Same with mine, it was the latch mechanism on the front panel seizing up. A quick spray with WD was all it needed.