Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What do you use to clean your Chrome rims?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Jeff_Seymour

What do you use to clean your Chrome rims?

Post by Jeff_Seymour » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:08 am

I have chrome rims and have never cleaned them. What products do you suggest?

Smokin

Re: What do you use to clean your Chrome rims?

Post by Smokin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:37 am

I just wash them with the same bucket I washed the car with (but do it LAST). Bucket contains Meguiar's Gold Car Shampoo. We were given a sample of Rim Ice at HC. Haven't tried it yet.
2007 3.0si coupe, sapphire black, saddle brown extended leather, heated M seats, premium package, sport package, Carver, light poplar wood trim, xenon, headlight washers, 6 spd. Member BMWCCA, ZSCCA, Homecoming 08 Pirate.

Sceptre

Post by Sceptre » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:38 am

Chrome cleaner comes to mind!

I'm afraid I do not have chrome wheels but do know the UK product Autosol would do them a treat but will remove some of the coating.

I would suggest a frequent soapy wash and clean rag though! I have scooters (Lambretta and Piaggio) with lots of chrome and stainless on them. My quality chrome just enjoys a slightly oily rag wipe over to shine through.

I have the painted version of your Elipsoids. Yours do look the biz though.

Sceptre
----------------------------
03 Z4 3.0i 6 speed, Xenon, Cruise, 18" elips, Sat Nav, Mod CDV, cup holders, K&N, OEM Strut Brace, Eibach Pro, Reinhold Roof Module, Wind Deflector.

Caddyshk

Post by Caddyshk » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:39 am

I use simple green and water to clean the brake dust. I'm told any car wax works well on alloys - on chrome I'm guessing a chrome polish?
2006 Z4MC IB - LL93158
SS Race M, RE X Pipe, FS Headers/DFK Sec 1, OE STB, DZ CDV, AS SS, GC CoilOvers, SP FCAB, RE RTAB, VT Engine Mts, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC, RE Clutch Stop, RE Tran Mounts, LeatherZ MSB, Tekarbon Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS

emdinva

Post by emdinva » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:47 am

Smokin wrote:I just wash them with the same bucket I washed the car with (but do it LAST). Bucket contains Meguiar's Gold Car Shampoo. We were given a sample of Rim Ice at HC. Haven't tried it yet.
I used the sample of Rim Ice from HC and it appears to work. I am not sure how long it will last. I do not have chrome wheels but I clean my OEM wheels the same as " Smokin".

Smokin

Post by Smokin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:12 pm

emdinva wrote:
Smokin wrote:I just wash them with the same bucket I washed the car with (but do it LAST). Bucket contains Meguiar's Gold Car Shampoo. We were given a sample of Rim Ice at HC. Haven't tried it yet.
I used the sample of Rim Ice from HC and it appears to work. I am not sure how long it will last. I do not have chrome wheels but I clean my OEM wheels the same as " Smokin".
(note: I have OEM rims as well. Just noticed the way I responded might be taken to mean I had chrome. Hubby has chrome on his F150 and he washes the same way. No scrubbing!!!)
2007 3.0si coupe, sapphire black, saddle brown extended leather, heated M seats, premium package, sport package, Carver, light poplar wood trim, xenon, headlight washers, 6 spd. Member BMWCCA, ZSCCA, Homecoming 08 Pirate.

Jeff_Seymour

Post by Jeff_Seymour » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:27 pm

I was hoping someone had used a specific chrome cleaner. When I had my Harley Davidson and it had chrome rims I used "mothers chrome cleaner" but I haven't seen it sold in the stores now a days.

Smokin

Post by Smokin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:07 pm

Never used it, but Meguiars carries both chrome and aluminum wheel cleaners and polishes. You might also want to try Mother's website.

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:36 pm

Jeff_Seymour, your chrome wheels may be coated, perhaps clearcoated. You DO NOT want to use an abrasive chrome cleaner on those. I suggest Simple Green in a spray bottle and a non-abrasive cloth or sponge. You may want to seriously consider getting Axxix Deluxe Advanced brake pads and eliminate 95% of the massive amounts of dust the BMW pads give off. Here is a link: http://www.zeckhausen.com/axxis_pads.htm

Aliv6

Post by Aliv6 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:53 pm

Nothing acidic! If you maintain your car...Seal the wheels then Soapy warm water will suffice.
2007 Z4MC & 2004 Mk2 Clio V6

powerontap

Post by powerontap » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:31 am

Mine weren't clear coated (easy to tell) and I used Mothers chrome cleaner/polish every 4 or 5 wash. "take out your sunglasses" shine 8)
Go Topless