Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW tech crashed my car! What would you do?

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:27 pm

Pastry wrote:WTF That's naughty. Looks like someone's lost the arse end an hit the kerb hard, I'd be fuming :thumbsdown:
+1, that is NOT kerb rash. Same thing happened to my dad in his 944 S2. He was a bit of a pleb on a concrete road (only doing 20mph mind you), backend out around a 90 degree corner, hit the kerb, same damage as this - tyre/wheel/suspension.

:headbang:
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

GreyZed

Post by GreyZed » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:35 pm

Was it being driven when the damage occured or has it slipped of a ramp in the workshop?
3.0 auto, sterling grey, hardtop, prfessional nav, dsp, digital tv, bluetooth, cruise, xenons, mfsw, cupholders, auto lights, auto wipers, folding mirrors, memory seats, wind deflector, pdc, 108s, LED sides/fogs, stubby, intravee, need a quad exhaust!

wegras

Post by wegras » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:40 pm

tyre/wheel/suspension.
If on road what about damage to drive system ? from shock
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:43 pm

That dose look like someone has been having some skidding sideways fun in your car!! And got it wrong!!

I would be very unimpressed!! Especially as they have as it sounds down played things. Unles it did happen in the workshop. That's been done whilst someone is driving your car how they should not have been. I would demand they plug it in and see if TC was on or off?!, I am sure they could tell if it was your fault!!
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

EdButler

Post by EdButler » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:48 pm

Jeez I'd be going crazy with them. Tech has basically been ragging it and lost the back end. You also want 2 new matched tyres due to the damage and a free service I'd say.

You need to watch out as an impact like that can also cause damage to the differential and gearbox. If the warranty is nearly over, I'd want something in writing saying that they'd extend the warranty in the drivetrain too... Unbelievable.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:03 pm

Did they put it on a ramp for you to see underneath. I'd want to see that as a minimum. If you have any concerns an independent inspection at BMW cost should put your mind at rest.

wegras

Post by wegras » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:25 pm

Confirmation in writing that no third party was involved or any law breaking ,the authorities would only have your Reg .............
Maybe it needs a meeting with Dealer Principal
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
All BMW family

GreyZed

Post by GreyZed » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:32 pm

If it was slid sideways into a kerb hard enough to damage suspension then the driveshaft will have transmitted some of that energy into the cv joints and the diff with further potential for damage.
3.0 auto, sterling grey, hardtop, prfessional nav, dsp, digital tv, bluetooth, cruise, xenons, mfsw, cupholders, auto lights, auto wipers, folding mirrors, memory seats, wind deflector, pdc, 108s, LED sides/fogs, stubby, intravee, need a quad exhaust!

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:37 pm

wegras wrote:Confirmation in writing that no third party was involved or any law breaking,
This :thumbsup:

wegras

Post by wegras » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:41 pm

Grumpyowl wrote:
wegras wrote:Confirmation in writing that no third party was involved or any law breaking,
This :thumbsup:
Lets hope OP doesn't get the BMW survey "how did we do " :rofl:

I have found in the past Dealer Principals are very sensitive to bad publicity esp of this nature
All BMW family

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:49 pm

I would be rejecting that car...

God knows what could go wrong with it down the line.... Diff bearing damage,bushes,wearing out tyres..

He has wankered that.....

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:31 pm

I wouldn't have it back in all honesty. It'd be a case of you broke it you bought it or suggest you'd only find it right to make the wider customer base and corporate aware of just how they treat customer's cars
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

Johnh1976

Post by Johnh1976 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:45 pm

To be honest after seeing it I did lose it! The tech obviously lost the back end driving like a wally on the test drive :x All I can do is make sure it's put back together properly and I expect an independent report to confirm it. But never nice knowing somebody has took liberties in your car :(
Like some have said and I agree with, who knows what damage it might have done? Could I really have a case to refuse the car and demand they buy it off me?
They won't even give me a proper replacement car. I said I'm not happy driving around in bright orange convertible and should be given at least an m sport car of some description. I was told BMW don't give us those to give you sir! :x :x
By the way I should add this is Cooper Chelmsford
Previous Z4 3.0se auto with failed roof motor :headbang: 2009 Z4 3.0 sdrive auto :2016 TTS roadster

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:50 pm

As others have said that's been played down by the tech. Certainly looks like a rear end slide hitting a kerb. Why was it in the road? Post work test drive or something else?

I'd make an appointment to sit down with the dealer principal and get an explanation of how it happened and their proposals. Repairs, possible other drive line damage, extending. Warranty and some compensation like your next service.

Don't let them start until that meeting is held and if not go to another dealer to get it fixed to their satisfaction.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:52 pm

Johnh1976 wrote:To be honest after seeing it I did lose it! The tech obviously lost the back end driving like a wally on the test drive :x All I can do is make sure it's put back together properly and I expect an independent report to confirm it. But never nice knowing somebody has took liberties in your car :(
Like some have said and I agree with, who knows what damage it might have done? Could I really have a case to refuse the car and demand they buy it off me?
They won't even give me a proper replacement car. I said I'm not happy driving around in bright orange convertible and should be given at least an m sport car of some description. I was told BMW don't give us those to give you sir! :x :x
By the way I should add this is Cooper Chelmsford
I would definitely want to be there when the independent inspector goes to test the car.
I'd also want to go under the car with the inspector and get him to explain exactly what he's looking for.

What a crazy situation they've put you in. :x