Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Door leak - or not?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Door leak - or not?

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:02 pm

I'm in the middle of a door panel retrim and speaker upgrade.

I noticed today that after cutting away the sound insulation (the grey foam that is so perfectly sealed around the door) as guided by the audio centre, to set in new speakers they got water droplets on them after I washed the car with a hose.

Clearly it's getting in the window frame lowere edge somewhere and dripping down to the speaker. My question is should water get in and simply pass down the inside of the door and out the bottom or do I have an issue at the window channel edge to fix?

Obviously I have to protect the speakers but it's a question of am I to attempt to prevent it getting in or simply ensure it passes through?

Logic tells me to stop it getting in, but where does the fault lie on Zeds?
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Lotus1

Re: Door leak - or not?

Post by Lotus1 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:00 pm

I've got a door in pieces at the moment - broken window lifter cable. There's very little to stop water entering the door - just the seal of the rubber against the glass...it's bound to leak to some degree with age. I think you need some form of hood arrangement to protect your speakers...

Steve

3.0i Roadster, M Sport Suspension, AC Schnitzer Type 4 reps, Xenons, 6 Speed Manual, Satnav, Carver Hi-fi

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:00 pm

Water is meant to get in the door from the window, hence the need for the membrame and the importance of the drainholes being clear for the water to run out.

Did you have to cut a hole in the clear membrame for the new speakers?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:24 pm

That's where I was erring towards Lotus 1 - a protector rather than stopping the ingress. PVR echoes the idea that water is supossed to enter.

PVR. The doors don't have a 'clear' membrane at all . They have a form of dense grey foam. That is pre formed to various contours inside the door and perfectly fastened on all around with butyl.

To fit the speakers I had to cut approx diameter 4" holes in that foam which now allow the speaker's rear to protrude into the void beween door inner and window glass. The audio company advised this was required else the speaker cannot function.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills