Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2.0SE Rough Idle

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Ignitor

2.0SE Rough Idle

Post by Ignitor » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:05 pm

I've already read comments elsewhere about the less than refined sound and feel of the 2.0's idling, but yesterday as i stopped at traffic lights i noticed my entire car was suddenly throbbing whilst idling. Upon stopping, or after pushing the accelerator pedal, the rev counter would drop to 900 as usual but then quickly rise to 950 before settling back to 900 again. The car doesn't feel like it's going to cut-out or stall, and it drives absolutely fine when in actual motion, but there is a definite new vibration throughout the vehicle at standstill, so much so that my gearstick is moving quite a bit, and it sounds like it's been fitted with a diesel engine until i begin to drive off.
I've checked my oil, fuel, temperatures, etc, and they're all as should be. The car is an '05 with just 18k on the clock and has been in for its first oil service just a few months ago.
I've read during an internet search that i could perhaps put higher RON fuel through the car which might help (i currently use regular unleaded, always from the same petrol station) but i'm wondering/worrying if it might be something else more serious, as you do :roll: I've got a third of a tank of fuel left and then i'll give the high RON thing a go i guess but i thought i'd better ask here if anyone else had this kind of problem or know anything about it?
Thanks in advance :thumbsup:
Paul

Lotus1

Re: 2.0SE Rough Idle

Post by Lotus1 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:54 pm

Paul,

I think it's shagged mate...time for the straight 6 upgrade :(

...or to be more helpful...a fluctuation of 50 RPM really isn't that much. Could be dirty fuel causing a blockage - get some injector cleaner to add to the tank. Another thing for clearing up issues like this is a damn good thrashing :thumbsup:

Steve
Last edited by Lotus1 on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3.0i Roadster, M Sport Suspension, AC Schnitzer Type 4 reps, Xenons, 6 Speed Manual, Satnav, Carver Hi-fi

Ignitor

Post by Ignitor » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:18 pm

I think it's shagged mate...time for the straight 6 upgrade :(
Cheeky git! I know, i know... It's gonna happen. 3 months to go and i'll have a years licensed driving under my belt. That'll go some way to reducing the insurance costs on a 2.5 or 3.0.
...or to be more helpful...a fluctuation of 50 RPM really isn't that much. Could be dirty fuel causing a blockage - get some injector cleaner to add to the tank. Another thing for clearing up issues like this a damn good thrashing :thumbsup:
It's the fact that it's only just started doing it thats worrying me. My dad said it could be dirty fuel too, i'll look into getting some injector cleaner this weekend. I like the idea of giving it a damn good thrashing! :evil:
I tried a bit of that last Sunday when i was attempting to keep up with a brand new Lamborghini Gallardo between Congleton and Alderly Edge. It all got a little bit scary :D
I think i'm a bit too polite to my car y'know, I'll hammer it home tonight and see what happens. Ta for the reply mate.

Ignitor

Post by Ignitor » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:43 pm

Well, my Z4 is in Hospital for a day or two. I had BMW Emergency Services out to it this morning whilst at work (he turned up within 30 minutes!) and he did all he could with the diagnostics and a set of spanners until he decided to call Bluebell in Wilmslow and inform them that it should go to them and that i should have a courtesy car for the duration. It turns out that one of my four cylinders is cream crackered. Within an hour i was delivered a brand new 1 series to play with. I'm going to brutalise it on my home tonight :evil:
I'd just like to say the service i've received today from BMW is without a doubt the best customer service i've experienced in a very, very long time. All I had to do was sit back and let it all happen around me. As one of my friends said today "thats why i want a BMW". Nuff said.
:worshipbmw:

HA! Lotus1, i've just seen your "Z4 South Cheshire owners club" thing, ha ha, nice one. We should make tshirts up and freak out the neighbours :lol:

Lotus1

Post by Lotus1 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:57 pm

See...I told you it was nothing serious!!! :cry:

Steve

3.0i Roadster, M Sport Suspension, AC Schnitzer Type 4 reps, Xenons, 6 Speed Manual, Satnav, Carver Hi-fi

Lotus1

Post by Lotus1 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:51 pm

Paul,

Any news about the motor? I see you're still driving the 1 series...how do you find it? (Don't tell me...it's on the drive every morning!) :P

Steve

mambot

Post by mambot » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:10 pm

Ignitor, hope you're enjoying the 1 series - honestly

response as a former 1series owner.........lol
Mambot

delivered; 2.0 sport roadster with quite a few trimmings!

Ignitor

Post by Ignitor » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:57 pm

Thankfully i gave it back on Tuesday this week. My Z4 is all fixed now :thumbsup: Better than ever actually. I had the cam-shaft replaced due to a valve spring breaking in the 2nd cylinder, if i remember correctly. I dunno, it's all gibberish to me, fixed under the warranty though so hurrah for me! :)
I took the 1 series out for a drive last weekend and had to call it quits. I was in serious danger of falling asleep at the wheel. It goes exactly where you point it with no fuss in the most pedestrian, dull way that it's almost dangerous. It's a trundle machine :( I just switched off mentally after 30 minutes. I can be tired when i get into my Z4 and feel re-invigorated and alive as soon as i start to drive, the 1 series was nicely built and comfy.... but dull as dishwater and coma inducing :thumbsdown:

Lotus1

Post by Lotus1 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:01 pm

Excellent news - glad you got it sorted FOC :thumbsup: