Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Condensation in indication roundel lens

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
sapphire_nick

Condensation in indication roundel lens

Post by sapphire_nick » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:26 pm

Hi all

Washed my z today and I noticed that there were droplets of water inside the indicator roundel on the driver's side.

Could not see any cracks and wondered if I should take it to the dealer for a warranty fix or if there is a simple thing I can try?

I could not see how to remove the lens to check it. Anyone know how to do it?

Does it seem petty to take it to the dealer for a warranty fix?

I was just concerned that water droplets could damage contacts and also maybe wiring?

Regards
Nick
3.0si coupe in sapphire black. HIFI prof DSP, Professional Nav, Star Composite 18s, elect fold mirr,MFSW, heated black leather, Intravee, Cruise Control, Manual gearbox.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Condensation in indication roundel lens

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:37 pm

Well if it's under warranty then you could drop into the dealer and see what they say. Expect comment about it's not serious enough.

Personally I'd take it off. Simple 45 degree anticlockwise twist. Take the bulb out and leave it for a couple of hours to dry on a radiator and see if it does the same again after a couple of weeks when refitted.

You might find the gasket was twisted or something similar.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

inTgr8r

Post by inTgr8r » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:40 pm

The lens is bonded to the white backing plate.
& the bulb is O ring sealed
sounds like it's not fully bonded.....

looks like this when dissasembled....
(IIRC pic is from Rom3n)

sapphire_nick

Post by sapphire_nick » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:43 pm

Thanks for the responses! I will have a go at removing the lens later. Do I turn just the lens section by 45 degrees?

I tried and it seemed very stiff.

If the bonding has separated, should I just superglue the white bit to the clear bit?
3.0si coupe in sapphire black. HIFI prof DSP, Professional Nav, Star Composite 18s, elect fold mirr,MFSW, heated black leather, Intravee, Cruise Control, Manual gearbox.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:50 pm

sapphire_nick wrote:Thanks for the responses! I will have a go at removing the lens later. Do I turn just the lens section by 45 degrees?

I tried and it seemed very stiff.

If the bonding has separated, should I just superglue the white bit to the clear bit?
Grab the whole unit like you'd take a jar lid off, press slightly towards the centre of the car to compress the gasket and turn anticlockwise 45o. They can be very stiff

I've never has to seal one but personally would use clear silicone as its 100% waterproof, flexible and removable if you ever have to open the unit
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills