Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Castle Combe

"M" Specific discussion
tehdarkstar

Castle Combe

Post by tehdarkstar » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:24 am

Yesterday took my Z and a friend to Castle Combe for a trackday and thought I would just share some impressions.

The track is actually not very good. Blind corners (the two of them), slippery tarmac (even in the dry, let alone the wet) and bumpy surface. Also the tarmac is not regular, with lots of patches around.

The first 15 minutes session I spent mostly stuck behind a 2.0 Vauxhall Vectra (standard) that was painfully slow. As I didn't have any confidence in the track and couldn't see the corners I decided to stay there for the first bit and when I finally feel comfortable with overtaking the guy I got behind a Peugeot 205GTI and soon after got the checkered flag indicating the session was over.

For the second session I lined up first, in front of the Vectra. Got out and had the track all free for me. Dropped the hammer and lot loose. My mate sitting in the passenger seat had a great time and we were lapping very, very fast. Because the track is quite short by the second lap I knew all the corners and could concentrate on getting the best lines, finding the less bumpy pieces of road and increase the pace.

Had a great 3rd session as well and for the 4th session I went out behind a BMW M5 (the current one). My logic thinking was that the guy would disappear in front of me and I would have empty track again, so I went on the throttle a bit later than him when exiting the pit-lane and that allowed him to open a good gap, but then I started my lap and I was going much faster than him around the corners. At the end of our first lap I was very close to him and managed to make a move between the first corner and the first chicane of the second lap. I was gobsmacked that I had just passed a BMW M5! :) In the next lap I overdid it and spun out of the first chicane. The guy in the M5 passed by and laughed. I went to talk to him afterwards and he said he saw me going sideways for a while before spinning... :)

The following session was in the wet. I went out but didn't feel any confidence in the grip levels. The back was sliding too much. My first lap was in 2:07 minutes, compared to the 1:25 that I was lapping in the dry. I also felt tired, so I decided to call it a day. After I left the track a 993 911 spun beautifully at the exit of the last corner, right in front of the pit-lane. After him the Pug 205GTI and an Evo IX spun very close together at the exit of the same corner.

My mate spent the trip home talking about the engine noise, the feeling of being pushed around inside the car, the feeling of speed. It was his first trackday and I was glad that he had a great time! I had a great time too. Not a track I would go because I like it, but still good fun.

The Z behaved as it did in Bedford: well balanced, easy to control and throw around, not a lot of grip as both my tyres are wearing down now and the tarmac wasn't grippy, massively powerful, incredible pace. The wife of the M5 driver said that I was looking good out there coming out of the last corner with the car in a slight slide just before going hard on the throttle and blasting through the pit-straight. I had very positive comments from a lot of people and it was also good to chat with all the car-nuts and talk all things with internal combustion.

Next stop now I think is another trip to Bedford Autodrome. A guy that works with me has an MK1 Merc SLK 320 that he believes can keep up with my car and I had to invite him to prove it in the track by trying to follow me around a lap... What do you guys think: do I have a chance against him? 8)
Z4M Coupe! :sweetheart:

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Castle Combe

Post by WLH » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:50 am

Excellent and sound like you had a blast.... :D :D :driving:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

tehdarkstar

Post by tehdarkstar » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:56 am

Just a quick pic in the car park:

zformula

Post by zformula » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:11 am

MK1 SLK320?? Tell him to dream on!

The Z4M Coupe is quicker round a track than the current SLK55 AMG Black Series.

Check out the vid on Autocar to see how bad it is - http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/Videos.aspx

icarus

Post by icarus » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:31 pm

Another brilliant report of a track day tehdarkstar, thanks for taking the time and trouble to write such an interesting piece. It looks as if you had the place to your self again. The last bend before the flag dips against the camber , no point in using brakes, always spin offs there.

spokey

Post by spokey » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:22 pm

tehdarkstar wrote:What do you guys think: do I have a chance against him? 8)
:evil: You've got to look worried when you talk to him about it. :evil:
Cheers,
Spokey
Aebous wrote:
lacroupade wrote:
Aebous wrote:Does dating your car count?
Only if it involves something unpleasant to do with your tailpipe.... :rofl:
I wouldn't call it unpleasant :?

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:16 pm

tehdarkstar wrote:...A guy that works with me has an MK1 Merc SLK 320 that he believes can keep up with my car and I had to invite him to prove it in the track by trying to follow me around a lap... What do you guys think: do I have a chance against him? 8)
:lol: what a dreamer, he might win if you promise not to use higher than 1st gear :D

Great review as usual BTW :thumbsup:

tehdarkstar

Post by tehdarkstar » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:05 pm

Thanks guys. I tried to tell him that I may have the upper hand because I know the track already and even his brother told him that he will get spanked, but he still believes he can do it. We shall see: I'm already booked up for the 13th and hopefully he will keep up his word and do it. :D