Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Plumbing question

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
pvr
Legend
Legend

Plumbing question

Post by pvr » Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:20 pm

I have a washing machine in a garage which has a single drain pipe and a cold water supply that I had fitted a few years back.
I now want to add a sink next to the washing machine so I can fill the buckets up with hot water, so I am planning to buy a LPG based water heater.

The water heater I am looking at is this one, opinions appreciated or alternative suggestions which would be better also.https://www.thecaravanwarehouse.co.uk/P ... 002/BOI500

Now for the connection of the water and waste: What is the best way to add the sink waste to the existing washing machine waste (straight pipe up at the moment, 30 mm diameter). I have seen the "tee" pieces that you can add to the top, is that the best way without it pushing back into the sink?

Secondly, most water supply splitters go from 1 to 2 supplies, and I need 3 (1 for washing machine, 1 for cold water supply and 1 to the water heater for the hot water supply). The 3 splitters I see tend to be for gardening water supply, is that ok for this purpose?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Plumbing question

Post by Pondrew » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:03 pm

Electric unvented water heaters are cheaper, easier to install, potentially less dangerous and most importantly you don't need a qualified fitter to install them.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/triton-insta ... 0ltr/788kj

Even with an electric one I would recommend you have it installed by a professional. They can be very dangerous if not installed correctly! :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

pvr
Legend
Legend

Plumbing question

Post by pvr » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:21 pm

The problem with electric is that first of all, I don't want to store hot water 7 days a week as I would only use it once a week, and secondly it cannot heat enough water for when I want it, i.e. when filling two time 20 litre buckets it would take far too long to do that.

I thought the nice thing about the gas one was that it was only on demand, and then immediately warm. As it is LPG based, the gas side does not need anything special.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Plumbing question

Post by Pondrew » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:31 pm

pvr wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:20 pm Now for the connection of the water and waste: What is the best way to add the sink waste to the existing washing machine waste (straight pipe up at the moment, 30 mm diameter). I have seen the "tee" pieces that you can add to the top, is that the best way without it pushing back into the sink?

Secondly, most water supply splitters go from 1 to 2 supplies, and I need 3 (1 for washing machine, 1 for cold water supply and 1 to the water heater for the hot water supply). The 3 splitters I see tend to be for gardening water supply, is that ok for this purpose?
A sink should have a 1.5" (38-41mm) drain, or waste. This is to prevent blockages. The waste from the sink will normally have a connection for the washing machine flexible hose to 'plug into'. If not then you can buy then separately.

You can tee the cold water supply more than once to give you your three cold supplies (washing machine, sink cold and water heater supply). If it's mains pressure water it doesn't matter where they are, although I would always use the first tee for the water heater otherwise you could have problems with the heater when either of the other two are in use.

An unvented water heater will also need a separate drain, for pressure relief (safety valve). This should always be routed to somewhere it can be seen easily and must not be teed into any other drain. It's so you can tell if the PRV (pressure relief valve) has operated as that indicates a problem.

Anything else...just ask Uncle Pond Plumbing Consultants! :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Plumbing question

Post by Pondrew » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:33 pm

pvr wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:21 pm As it is LPG based, the gas side does not need anything special.
That is not true, unfortunately. Not sure if it comes under 'gas safe' regs now, but there are regs for LPG installations.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Plumbing question

Post by Pondrew » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:37 pm

pvr wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:21 pm I thought the nice thing about the gas one was that it was only on demand, and then immediately warm. As it is LPG based, the gas side does not need anything special.
Yes I get that. You can get instant electric ones (work like an electric shower basically), but they need a BIG electrical supply.

It would be a lot cheaper and less aggro to by a pair of thick waterproof gloves TBH! :wink:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

pvr
Legend
Legend

Plumbing question

Post by pvr » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:40 pm

Thanks Uncle Pond, the integrated sink and worktop over the washing machine is arriving in a week, and I ticked the "waste kit" to go with it so will see what it comes with before buying anything else. Good idea about the side feed into the sink waste.

The gas systems are sold as DIY installations, they are usually installed outside for campsites, horse boxes etc and for inside installation need a flu that comes with it anyway so should be ok with that. Can't remember anything about a drain connection or requirement for that, but will see when I get a unit what I need to make.

Now uncle Pond, where can I get a three way splitter for the mains cold water supply? :D
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

pvr
Legend
Legend

Plumbing question

Post by pvr » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:42 pm

Pondrew wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:37 pm
pvr wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:21 pm I thought the nice thing about the gas one was that it was only on demand, and then immediately warm. As it is LPG based, the gas side does not need anything special.
Yes I get that. You can get instant electric ones (work like an electric shower basically), but they need a BIG electrical supply.

It would be a lot cheaper and less aggro to by a pair of thick waterproof gloves TBH! :wink:
Don't tell me you wash the cars with cold water :lol:

I would like to be there when you wash up your greasy pans in the kitchen with cold water :evil:
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Plumbing question

Post by Pondrew » Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:12 pm

pvr wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:40 pm Now uncle Pond, where can I get a three way splitter for the mains cold water supply?
Why do you need one? Just use 2 x tees inline.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Plumbing question

Post by Pondrew » Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:13 pm

pvr wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:42 pm Don't tell me you wash the cars with cold water
No but my utility room is not far from the driveway (as I don't own an estate like you)! :poke: :lol:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Plumbing question

Post by Pondrew » Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:17 pm

pvr wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:40 pm The gas systems are sold as DIY installations, they are usually installed outside for campsites, horse boxes etc and for inside installation need a flu that comes with it anyway so should be ok with that. Can't remember anything about a drain connection or requirement for that, but will see when I get a unit what I need to make.
I was presuming it was an unvented stored water heater. If an instantaneous you won't need a drain. They are basically a water pipe with a heater around them.
Obviously the LPG regs are up to you. Just make sure you know what you are doing. Read the instructions twice then twice again!

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

pvr
Legend
Legend

Plumbing question

Post by pvr » Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:49 pm

It is just an LPG bottle, so would use one of my existing 47 kg ones that I keep spare for the cooker (we don't have mains here).
The bottle will be undercover outside of the garage wall, so just a 1.5 meter hose would work and a flu straight outside as well. Electric wise it only uses a 1.5V battery so I can manage that :lol:
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Plumbing question

Post by Pondrew » Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:18 pm

pvr wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:49 pm Electric wise it only uses a 1.5V battery so I can manage that
Sounds a bit complicated to me! :lol:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

BeeEmm

Plumbing question

Post by BeeEmm » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:52 pm

This is the true Andrew (Pondrew) the expert in heating, ventilation and all things connected with plumbing and air flow. A far cry from the entertaining idiot he pretends to be in the 'Lounge'. Mind you, entertainers earn a lot of respect, but so do plumbers. No that's not true, plumbers do not earn respect in my experience. :)
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Plumbing question

Post by Pondrew » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:11 pm

BeeEmm wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:52 pm plumbers do not earn respect in my experience
They do earn bloody good money nowadays, though!
I was brought up with the saying "if you can pi$$, you can plumb". And "hand tight is water tight". Neither are correct, as it turns out. :D

The irony is that as a 'fridge engineer, we always looked down on plumbers as a 'semi-skilled' trade. Now they earn a massive amount more than we do! The world we live in! :roll:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold